Due to security issues and the nature of the industry many of our clients require us to maintain their anonymity until a CV has been submitted. If you need more details about our current opportunities please submit your CV here. We will not put you forward to the client until we’ve discussed the role with you in more detail and you have agreed that it is a position you would like to apply for. We are only permitted to disclose certain information when we believe the candidate is qualified and is likely to reach the interview stage.
All Categories . Aerospace & Automotive . Biopharmaceuticals & Biotechnology . Chemicals . Electronics & I.T. . Energy, Environment & Utilities . Engineering . FMCG & Pharmaceuticals . Marine & Defence . principal . Scientific
Shared Infrastructure (SI) Virtualisation Engineer
Application Deadline: 31st December 2021
Location: New Malden , Surrey
To support the architecting and implementation of virtualisation aspects across the SI product, covering virtualisation and its associated technologies, designing an available, scalable, secure and resilient enterprise-scale IT infrastructure . The role is to be the lead engineer in these areas, under the technical direction of the Senior SDA and Virtualisation TA. The role is primarily focused on defining the low level technical solution and investigations required to support both existing elements of the SI product and to give future direction and support to the product line. This is a demanding technical role for a candidate with a strong engineering (virtualisation) background.
Key Technical Skills (Some or all of the following)
- Thorough understanding of low-level virtualisation technology and its implementation
- Knowledge of industry-leading virtualisation products and ability to understand their relative merits and applicability to the task.
- Specific knowledge of VMware technologies and experience of its application in delivered systems
- Established exposure to VMware vSphere, vCenter Server, Horizon and associated technologies. (Knowledge of NSX and vSAN is useful but not essential.)
- Experience of VDI technologies and the problems that arise with the implementation and deployment of such.
- Experience of design document creation and system level details capture
- Experience of SAN and Networking technology
Top 9 Major Tasks and Activities:
- Supporting the low level virtualisation design and implementation aspects. for various deliveries.
- Liaising with key stakeholders in the customer and Technical Authority community to establish, understand, and deliver against, the requirements.
- Proposing solutions to complex technical issues and seeing them through from design to implementation.
- Support the functionality delivered in production. Proactively discover issues and resolve them before business impact
- Understanding and pro-actively managing potential security, safety and performance issues, ensuring that the virtualisation aspects of the system satisfy all requirements.
- Involvement in, and intervention on, systems issues and matters arising across the SI product in the interests of improving quality, consistency and compatibility.
- Support to technical and presenting IT architectures to a range of stakeholders and technical communities including to Executive level.
- Support to Customer design reviews, Customer working groups and Customer Safety & Configuration Control boards.
- Helping to define and promote understanding of virtualisation technologies across the SI product team
. Key Outputs/Deliverables: Business Unit
- Technical solutions to low-level virtualisation issues
- Production of virtualisation technology plans
- Material to support Design Certification
- Design and Assessment Studies
- Presentation material
- Production and reviews of technical documentation and design
- Looking into and investigation future technology changes (e.g. real-time hypervisor technology)
- Mentoring of less experienced staff as required